A paddle or two in a kayak can give you a new perspective on Lake Superior’s beauty and views that most people will never see! At Larsmont Cottages, you can kayak just off Lake Superior’s shores or in the local rivers and lakes.
- Enjoy breathtaking views of the Split Rock Lighthouse, cliffs and a ship wreck
- Talk with our guides to plan water route
- Paddle by the scenic Iona’s Beach
- View Ore Ships loading and unloading
Guided Kayak Adventures
Burlington Bay to Agate Bay
Views of the Two Harbors Light Station, the oldest lighthouse in Minnesota (built in 1891), and the Agate Bay Ore Docks, hopefully ships loading!
Split Rock Lighthouse and Shipwreck
Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, the most photographed lighthouse in the United States, shipwreck of the Madeira, and small sea caves.
Iona’s Red Rock Beach to Gooseberry
Falls Bay Iona’s beach, covered with flattened pieces of smooth pink rhyolite, is one of three Minnesota scientific and natural areas on Lake Superior. Take in the sights of the shoreline from Iona’s beach all the way to Gooseberry Fall’s outlet.
Larsmont Cottages to Knife Island Wild Bird Sanctuary
Knife Island supports at least 250 breeding birds per year. It has historically been a rookery for a large number of Herring Gulls and Double-crested Cormorants. Most nests are located on bare rock on the mainland side of the island.
- All tours are facilitated by ACA certified guides and last approximately 4 hours in duration (including transportation time). Price includes kayak, paddling gear, mandatory wetsuit, transportation, bottled water and snack. Ledge Rock Grille gourmet box lunch is available with any tour for $12 (must be ordered 24 hours in advance).
- A minimum of 2 participants are required for all tours, maximum of 12 participants. Kayak tours departure times are at 9am and 2pm. Book your tour at the Front Desk or call 218-834-8250.
Larsmont Shoreline Intro Paddle
$30/participant. This is a perfect opportunity for those looking to learn and practice paddling skills in a 1 hour session before partaking in a destination kayak tour. These are scheduled on a limited basis, sign up for a session at the front desk!
- All kayaks are standard adult size, sit-in kayaks (no sit-on-top kayaks for Lake Superior!). Minimum age for kayak tours is 12.
- Weight limit for standard kayaks is 350lbs and 600lbs for tandem kayaks; if you are over 6’4” tall, it may feel uncomfortable fitting in a kayak. Please keep in mind that these are guide lines and can vary depending upon individual body build. If you are concerned, please ask is you could try to sit in a kayak and try on a wetsuit before making a booking.
- Once a tour is booked, it is non-refundable; however since this activity is exceptionally weather dependent, refunds will be granted due to unfortunate weather and inability to reschedule.
- Due to insurance liability, we do not allow individual rental of our kayaks or kayak supplies.
For inquiries, please contact Explore Activities Coordinator, Cheryl Doocy via email: firstname.lastname@example.org